The Exams can enhance users' comprehension of their studied material. Our new Assessment Builder can help you to create an advanced and exciting testing environment!
To create graded assessments:
1. Go to Courses and select your created course.
2. Add activity → select Exams.
3. You can choose between the Start From Scratch option (Blank exam or Graded SCORM) and Open-Ended Question Templates (which are premade templates such as Text and File assignment and Record Video).
4. Hit Save & Edit or Save. If you click on Save, you will need to select the Edit questions.
Your assessment structure consists of the starting screen, which can include an introduction to the questionnaire, organized sections with graded questions, and the ending screen. The type of questions can be added and customized according to your needs. For more information on how to further customize the assessment's structure, you can check this article.
To add questions and further customize the questionnaire's content, you can click on the +Add/Import question button.
A window will open, and you can check all the available types of questions. When you decide the type of questions you want to add, it's time to build the content and customize the questions' templates. There are different settings per question type, but some are general question properties.
You will find more information about the addition, customization of the assessment questions, and their available settings in our respective article.
The Score tab has two available options:
- Basic Score
- Advanced Score
To enable the Advanced Score, hover over the desired question template, click on Edit question, and the sideform will open. On the provided options, you can find the Score tab, and activate the Advanced Score, where you can set a specific point per choice.
On the Basic Score, you can set the score for the correct answers and the score for the incorrect answers.
Grading Settings & Attempts
The available settings are:
- Grade & Attempts
- Manual Feedback
- Ending Screen
- Auto recovery
- Learner tools
- After submission
- Assignment grading
You can find out more here: How to Configure the Assessment Settings
You can set the passing grade on the Grade & Attempts for graded assessment. Also, you can allow the users to take unlimited or an exact number of attempts. You have the option to allow multiple or an exact number of attempts only when a user fails the exam, or generally, you can prohibit resubmissions. You can also make the score visible immediately after the submission, or in case you have added assignment questions, you can make the score visible after all assignment questions are graded.
To access and review the submitted Assessment responses:
- Go to Courses.
- Locate the created course and the respective Assessment learning activity.
- Hover over the Assessment learning activity and click on Responses.
You can find out more in our respective article: How to Review the Assessment Responses
If you add a Text Assignment, File assignment, or Video Assignment type of question in your assessment learning activity, users will receive the Pending status on the Ending screen once users complete the assessment. You will need to grade it for the assessment to be considered as Passed or Failed. The grade will be found only in the Review Center section within your school and not on the Gradebook (Report Center →Review Center). When you grade the assignment, only then will it be automatically transferred to the Gradebook. You can find out more in our respective article.
The Ending Screen appears once a user submits their assessment. The widget of the ending screen has 3 statuses: Pass, Fail, and Pending (awaiting grading). You can choose each of those three statuses and modify the respective interface.
- Pass: When users complete the assessment and pass, they will receive the Pass message.
- Fail: If users fail the assessment, they will receive the Fail message.
- Pending: A pending screen is shown when the Exam/Self-assessment has gone to the Review Center for grading or feedback.
All options on the premade widget are configurable. Having said that, you have the option to add widgets with images, buttons, text, embed code, etc. Also, by clicking on the premade widget, the sideform will open to customize the ending screen.
Note: To alter the ending screen's text, you will need to click on the Assessment container, the Design form will be opened, then you can select the Assessment Viewer tab and simply change the text. Alternatively, you can go to the Language option from Settings.
You can find more information on how to create a non-graded assessment in the following article: How to Create a Non-Graded Assessment
- The Undo/Redo option can be used within the editing mode of the type of questions and not for the assessment settings, design, responses, etc.
- Additionally, the Undo/Redo option can be also utilized after saving a Page or Assessment/Form if you do not leave the page you are editing.