Stripe is one of our integrated payment gateways and is also the only one that supports Subscription-based sales.
How to set up Stripe as your Payment Gateway
Go to Settings → Financial → Payment Gateway, and click on the Stripe option.
1. Select and Activate Stripe as your payment method.
2. Connect to your Stripe account (you need to use/keep the Stripe account you have connected and should NOT connect to a different one at a later time).
3. You can select whether you will be selling only by subscriptions and not individual courses.
4. You have the ability to enable the Trial with a Credit card option and then your students should be required to add a credit card before starting a trial of a Subscription plan.
5. You can ask users to add their billing info upon checkout by enabling the Additional Billing Info option. The user will be requested for Name, address, city, postcode, and country upon checkout.
Note: If you want to sell only subscriptions in your school you can check out our relevant guide: How to set up your school for selling subscriptions only
Once you connect your Stripe account the option of collecting the users' credit card info before a subscription trial initiates, will appear.
- If a school is set to sell only by subscriptions and a user is on a subscription trial, then they can see their remaining trial days on their top bar.
- Remember in your Stripe account, on Settings → Subscription and Emails to have the Customer emails option deactivated, in order to avoid undesired charges on your customers.
- Make sure to leave the option Variants unchecked, so as to avoid course duplicates on your Shopify site:
- You can also accept payments through iDEAL, Bancontact, Giropay, SOFORT, and PRZELEWY24:
- If you wish to activate Mexican Stripe for your LearnWorlds school, make sure to contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org in order to assist you.
- The Sandbox option needs to be deactivated when the school goes live, to avoid paid course access without payment since, when in sandbox mode, no credit cards will actually be processed. This mode is offered only to test the payment flow & generate sample invoices.
a. Once you connect your Stripe account and create your subscriptions and installments, you should NOT connect a different Stripe account, otherwise, you will not be able to receive payments from the learners that purchased a subscription or installment while you had connected the 1st account.
b. If your users have already activated their subscription, you should NOT change the currency since your existing customers will not be able to pay in the new currency.
c. If a user downgrades their subscription plan, the price difference between the 2 plans will remain as credits in the user's account and will be applied to the subscription price for the next billing cycle/renewal. If you wish, you can refund this amount to the user via your Stripe account.