In order to start receiving payments for your courses, you need to connect your LearnWorlds site with a payment gateway, such as PayPal. You need to have a PayPal business account.
The required information for accepting PayPal payments is:
- your PayPal Live API Username
- your PayPal Live API Password
- your PayPal Live API Signature
How to obtain your live API credentials
1. Log in to your PayPal business account (if you have a personal account you will need to upgrade to a business account from your PayPal settings) and click on this link to gain access to your API information.
2. A new tab will open in PayPal, where you need to select Manage API Credentials at the bottom of the page.
3. On the new page select Request an API signature and click on Agree and Submit. If you have already requested this information before, you can skip this step.
4. You should now be able to see your 3 required API credentials. You can click here to directly view your API credentials. Click show to reveal them, copy and paste each of them to the Learnworlds Payment Gateway page respectively.
How to set up PayPal as your Payment Gateway
Go to Settings → Financial → Payment Gateway and choose the PayPal option. Paste the PayPal Username, Password, and Signature in the respective LearnWorlds fields.
Make sure to save your changes when you are done and to Activate PayPal.
Important PayPal settings that you need to verify in your account:
1. The first setting allows your PayPal account to accept payments in all currencies (foreign credit cards are denominated in local currencies which might be different than the default currency of your LearnWorlds school. If you do not enable these settings then foreign credit card payments might be denied).
- The setting is available on this page: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/customerprofileweb?cmd=_profile-pref (you have to be logged in with your PayPal account in order to access it).
- At the top of the page, where it says "Allow payments sent to me in a currency I do not hold:" you should check the first option "Yes, accept and convert them to $/£/€" (whatever the default currency of your PayPal account is).
2. The second setting ensures that your customers can pay with a credit card without necessarily having to create a PayPal account
- The setting is available in the following URL: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/customerprofileweb?cmd=_profile-website-payments
- Towards the bottom of the page, make sure that the "PayPal Account Optional" setting is set to "On".
Note: The Sandbox option needs to be deactivated when the school goes live, to avoid paid course access without payment since, when in sandbox mode, no credit cards will actually be processed. This mode is offered only to test the payment flow & generate sample invoices.