AvailabilityStarterPro TrainerLearning CenterHigh Volume & Corporate
What are Sitemaps?
Sitemaps are an easy way for owners of websites to inform search engines about pages on their sites that are available for crawling. In its simplest form, a Sitemap is an XML file that lists URLs for a site along with additional metadata about each URL (when it was last updated, how often it usually changes, and how important it is relative to other URLs in the site).
Using a Sitemap does not guarantee that web pages are included in search engines, but helps crawlers do a better job of crawling your site/school and indexing your pages. You can find more information regarding Sitemaps simply by following this link.
How to Submit a Sitemap to Search Engines?
Here are the steps you need to take in order to submit your site to 3 particular search engines:
1. Sign in to Google Search Console: https://search.google.com/search-console.
3. In the sidebar, select your website.
4. Then, Index to expand the section and click on Sitemaps.
5. Remove outdated or invalid sitemaps like sitemap.xml.
6. Enter sitemap.xml into the text box that appears.
7. Click Submit.
You will then receive a notification "Sitemap submitted successfully. Google will periodically process it and look for changes. You will be notified if anything goes wrong with it in the future".
Note: If you have not verified your website, then you will not be able to submit a sitemap. There will not be any options in the dropdown menu, so the verification must be done as the first step.
1. Sign in to Bing Webmaster Tools.
2. On Bing's Home page, add your website on the Add your site manually option.
3. As soon as you will click on Verify now, select the HTML meta tag option and copy the code.
4. Go to your school, open the code editor, paste the code in the <head> logged out (HTML) slot, and click on Update:
5. Go back to Bing and select Verify. Now, your website has been successfully verified.
6. You need to go to your Bing Dashboard, select the Sitemaps option on the left side of your screen, click on Submit sitemap, and add your domain along with this slug /sitemap.xml. The domain should look like this: learnworlds.com/sitemap.xml
7. Click Submit to finalize the process.
1. Add your website to Yandex Webmaster Tools if you haven’t already by following the simple steps found here.
2. Sign in to Yandex Webmaster.
3. On the home page, select your website.
4. In the left sidebar, click Indexing Options and then Sitemap files.
5. Remove outdated or invalid sitemaps like http://example.com/sitemap.xml
6. Enter your sitemap URL into the text box at the top. Your sitemap URL will look something like this: http://example.com/sitemap.xml.
7. Click Add to finalize the process.
To locate your school’s sitemap, you can simply add “/sitemap.xml” at the end of your school's URL. Then you can submit it to Google/Bing/Yandex so that they can index your pages, include them in their search results, and help your school and courses be discovered.
- You need to submit your Sitemap only once, and all your new content/courses will be added automatically.
- Default by LearnWorlds produces your school's Sitemap. If you wish to submit your sitemap to Google and other search engines, you will need to follow the instructions above.