If you have a live subscription with LearnWorlds and you want to use your school with a custom domain, follow the instructions below. Firstly, you need to create a CNAME DNS record that will point your chosen URL (www.yourschool.com) to your LearnWorlds school URL (yourschool.learnworlds.com) in your hosting provider account and, secondly, after you complete the process, you will need to navigate from your LearnWorlds' dashboard to "Settings" -> "School domain" in order to change it.
1st step: You will need to add a CNAME DNS record in your hosting provider account (if you have already added the CNAME scroll to the 2nd step).
What is a CNAME record? A CNAME, or Canonical Name, is an entry within the Domain Name System (DNS) that specifies where someone can find your web pages. You'll use the CNAME to associate your custom domain with your LearnWorlds site. After registering your domain, decide if you want to use a particular subdomain for your LearnWorld. For example, academy.yourschool.com instead of www.yourschool.com.
Create a CNAME record: Each hosting service has a slightly different way to create CNAME records. When in doubt, check with the particular company you're using for additional instructions.
- Other Hosting Services
Is Godaddy your hosting provider?
1 First of all, go to the GoDaddy website and Sign In your account.
2 When you are logged in, you will see the "My products" tab -> "Domains". Go to the domain that you want to add the CNAME DNS record and click on the "DNS" button.
3 In the "Records" field click on the "ADD" button.
4 In the new tab that pops-up click on the drop-down menu and select the "CNAME" option.
5 Once you select the "CNAME" option, you will have to add "www" in the "Host" field (please note that in case you want to use another subdomain, e.g. if you want to use academy.yourschool.com you have to replace "www" with "academy" as the "Host") and add the domain of your LearnWorlds school e.g. "yourschool.learnworlds.com" or "yourschool.getlearnworlds.com" or "yourschool.mylearnworlds.com" and click on the "Save" button. NOTE: In case there is already an existing CNAME DNS record with "www" as the host you can edit the existing entry by clicking the "pencil" icon and then insert the domain of your LearnWorlds school e.g. "yourschool.learnworlds.com" or "yourschool.getlearnworlds.com" or "yourschool.mylearnworlds.com" and click on the "Save" button. However, if the "www" is pointing to another live website (and not to "@"), the change in the "points to" field will affect the site and will not be reachable anymore.
6 Your new CNAME entry is ready.
Is 1AND1 your hosting provider?
- Log in to your account at https://admin.1and1.com.
- Click Domains->Domain Center.
- Click on Domain Name
- Click on Subdomain Overview
- Go to New and create a subdomain
- Enter your subdomain. For example, if you choose www.mydomain.com for your LearnWorlds' address, enter www.
- Click OK.
- Select the checkbox next to the subdomain that you will be using.
- From the "DNS" menu, select Edit DNS Settings.
- Select CNAME.
- In the "Alias" section, enter the URL of your school e.g. "yourschool.learnworlds.com" or "yourschool.getlearnworlds.com" or "yourschool.mylearnworlds.com". Click on "I read and Agree" and then click "Save"
Is Bluehost your hosting provider?
Follow the steps shown in this video
Is Namecheap your hosting provider?
Follow the steps shown in this article
Connect your LearnWorld's site with other hosting services
- Log in to your account on your hosting service's website.
- Go to the DNS management page.
- Since CNAME records are special Domain Name Service (DNS) records, they may be in sections like "DNS Management" or "Name Server Management." It's possible that you will have to turn on advanced settings to create a CNAME record.
- Before entering a new CNAME record to point to your Learnworlds site, delete any existing entries for the same alias. If you plan to transfer an existing web address to LearnWorlds, you may want to copy any content currently at that address elsewhere first.
- Use the following information when you create your CNAME record.
- Host Name/Alias: www
- This is the part of your website's address that you designated. For example, if www.mydomain.com is your address, enter www
- Value/Destination: yourschool.learnworlds.com or yourschool.getlearnworlds.com or yourschool.mylearnworlds.com (depending on your LearnWorlds school)
2nd step: You will need to let us know which is the custom domain you would like to use via the "School domain" page.
1You will need to navigate from your admin menu to "Settings" -> "School domain".
3Once you insert your custom domain you will need to click the "Verify domain" button. And when the verification is completed (which means that the CNAME is set up correctly) please click the "Change Domain" button
4You will see a "Thumbs up" message (congrats!) and your custom domain will be ready within 48 hours.
From the moment your new domain is ready, you and your learners should use only this custom domain, and not the LearnWorlds one you have been using until that moment. Please note that your custom domain will have an SSL Certificate so the whole site will be encrypted / secure. This will also greatly influence your school's ranking in Google's search engine.