If you want to use LearnWorlds with a custom domain, follow the instructions below to create a DNS CNAME record that will point your chosen URL (www.yourschool.com) to your LearnWorlds school url (yourschool.learnworlds.com). Note that this process might take up to 24 hours for newly-purchased domains. Once you add this CNAME DNS record please send us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) informing us about the domain you want to use, so that we can finalize the transfer of your site.
What is a CNAME record? A CNAME, or Canonical Name, is an entry within the Domain Name System (DNS) that specifies where someone can find your web pages. You'll use the CNAME to associate your custom domain with your LearnWorlds site. After registering your domain, decide if you want to use a particular subdomain for your LearnWorld. For example, academy.yourschool.com instead of www.yourschool.com.
Create a CNAME record: Each hosting service has a slightly different way to create CNAME records. When in doubt, check with the particular company you're using for additional instructions.
- Other Hosting Services
Is Godaddy your hosting provider?
1 First of all go to the godaddy website and log in with your account.
2 When you have logged-in click on the "My Account" tab at the top and then click on the "visit my account" green button. When you see the image below click on "Launch" Button for Domains.
3 Click on the gear at the domain you would like to connect your LearnWorld with.
4 Select "Domain Details" in the menu.
5 Click "DNS Zone File".
6 Click "Add Record"
7 Select "CNAME(Alias)"
8 Fill in the form with the "Host" and "Points to". Host: www (or whatever subdomain your website will use), Points to: yourschool.learnworlds.com and then press Finish.
9 To complete the proccess click on "Save Changes" option.
Is 1AND1 your hosting provider?
- Log in to your account at https://admin.1and1.com.
- Click Domains->Domain Center.
- Click on Domain Name
- Click on Subdomain Overview
- Go to New and create subdomain
- Enter your subdomain. For example, if you choose www.mydomain.com for your learnworld address, enter www.
- Click OK.
- Select the checkbox next to the subdomain that you will be using.
- From the "DNS" menu, select Edit DNS Settings.
- Select CNAME.
- In the "Alias" section, enter ns.learnworlds.com.Click I read and Agree and then click Save
Is Bluehost your hosting provider?
Follow the steps shown in this video
Is Namecheap your hosting provider?
Follow the steps shown in this article
Connect your LearnWorld's site with other hosting services
- Log in to your account on your hosting service's website.
- Go to the DNS management page.
- Since CNAME records are special Domain Name Service (DNS) records, they may be in sections like "DNS Management" or "Name Server Management." It's possible that you will have to turn on advanced settings to create a CNAME record.
- Before entering a new CNAME record to point to your Learnworlds site, delete any existing entries for the same alias. If you plan to transfer an existing web address to Learnworlds, you may want to copy any content currently at that address elsewhere first.
- Use the following information when you create your CNAME record.
- Host Name/Alias: www
- This is the part of your website's address that you designated. For example, if www.mydomain.com is your address, enter www
- Value/Destination: yourschool.learnworlds.com