LearnWorlds uses PDF templates to create user certificates. Those PDF certificates are PDF forms with fields corresponding to data (e.g., name, the course title, etc.) that you need to include in users' certificates.
We provide a standard Certification option as a default offering, while also giving the opportunity to generate and upload a custom certificate to enhance brand visibility and recognition. Here is how our Default option looks:
In this article, we will dive more into the Custom Certification creation process.
Certificate Template Creation Steps
To create and upload your custom PDF Certificate in your Certificate Learning activities, you will need to follow these steps:
2. Customize your Certificate activity, and if you wish, you can add Custom Certificate PDF Keys.
3. Create the PDF template of your choice, with your brand or logo, for example, in a Word file or an external design tool, and then save it in a PDF format.
4. Customize the PDF template in an external PDF fillable Editor. Use any PDF fillable editor you wish, upload your PDF template to edit it, and insert the appropriate Text Form Fields with the following values. Keep the file size below 1MB, preferably below 500KB.
4.a. You can insert the custom Certificate pdf key that you have stated on the certificate learning activity.
4.b. Or you can insert one of the following default fields:
Supported Certificate Fields
The name of the user (all characters are supported)
The course name
|Class_description||The course's description|
The date that the certificate was awarded will appear as 7 May 2022
The date that the certificate was awarded will appear as 07/05/2022 (day/month/year)
The date that the certificate was awarded will appear as 05/07/2022 (month/day/year)
The score that the user achieved in the final test, in percentage points (not available on the Certificate of Completion)
The course credits points (this can be set up in the course's Settings, under Add a label)
|Points_earned||The points earned by the user (not available on the Certificate of Completion)|
|Points_total||The total points of the Certificate Assessment (not available on the Certificate of Completion)|
A unique identifier (text and numbers) that can be used to identify/track valid certificates
A special field that can be used for showing user input, like a professional registration number (Legacy Questionnaire Builder).
This link downloads the original certificate locally to the users' systems.
Field names are case-sensitive.
5. Upload the PDF template to your Certificate learning activity under Certificate candidate details.
In this article, we will also find out more about how to:
- Customize the Certificate screen by adding Certification Fields
- Create Custom Certificate PDF Keys
- Customize the PDF template in an external PDF fillable Editor
- Upload the Certificate template to your Certificate Activity
Add Certification Fields
You can further customize the Certificate screen by adding the available certificate fields. Hover over and click on +Add Certification Field.
You can add as many certification fields as you want and populate them on the PDF Online Editor while creating your custom Certificate template. This can be done by using Certificate PDF keys (see below)
Create Custom Certificate PDF Keys
When you add a Certificate field you can have a certificate PDF key if available for this specific certification field (e.g. cert_dropdown).
For example, the below certificate field has the certificate PDF key cert_dropdown that can be used on the certificate template you will create in the PDF Online Editor. So it will populate the information/answer the user will submit on this specific certificate field.
You can see the available PDF keys.
You need to use the same PDF key in the PDF Online Editor when you create a custom PDF certificate.
You can customize the PDF template in an external PDF fillable Editor. Use any PDF fillable editor you wish, upload your PDF template to edit it, and insert the appropriate Text Form Fields with the following values. Ensure that the file size is below 1MB, preferably below 500KB.
Since the following PDF editors are 3rd-party tools, they may change anytime without notice. We do not have control over the changes that may occur.
Adobe Acrobat Pro
If you want to use Adobe Acrobat Pro, you can follow the steps mentioned here to create Text Form Fields. If you also wish to have the same Font Type, you need to select "Locked" in the Text Field Properties.
You can also use Sejda as a PDF editor in order to create Text Form Fields, more information you can find here. To create Text Form fields, you need to:
1. Visit Sejda's official website: https://www.sejda.com/pdf-forms,
2. Click on Upload PDF file.
3. Mark the place you would like to add the text field form and click on Text field option on the top of your screen.
4. Select field properties and add one of the supported certificate fields mentioned at the top of this article.
5. As soon as you are ready, click on Apply changes.
6. You can download the PDF file by clicking on the Download option.
Upload the Certificate template to your Certificate Activity
Once you have created and downloaded the Certificate PDF template, upload it to your Certificate learning activity under Certificate candidate details.
Here is an example of how the certificate will look: