Restricted Access is a new layer of control on signups to allow you to create schools of restricted access. Visitors can create a new account as per usual, but if the school has activated the “Enable restricted access” setting, the admin has first to review the signup and manually approve (or reject) it.
Specifically, the admin can:
- Review the signup fields (Name, Email, and any additional custom Signup Fields) provided by the new user and decide whether to approve or reject them.
- Right after signup, the admin can also ask extra questions via a qualification form and then send the users to the “pending” page, thus getting extra data to decide whether the new user is a right fit for the school. For more info about how to collect customer feedback using a Qualification Form, click here.
- If approved, the user can navigate freely in the school.
- If rejected, the user is locked in a Rejected page and cannot navigate to logged-in pages (such as their after-login page).
- While pending the admin’s review, the user is locked on a Pending page.
- Schools that have disabled the signups and admins add their users manually. They can allow signups and activate the “Enable restricted access” function, which will allow self-served sign-ups but restrict school access until an admin approves.
- Apart from saving time compared to manual enrollments, this also allows admins to collect additional user data (custom signup fields, qualification data) that would be more complicated to collect in the case of manually adding users.
Enable the Restricted Access
Navigate to All users → Restricted Access → Setup and enable the feature.
1. User signs up.
2. They see the "approval pending" page.
- If approved, the user can then navigate the school according to any other restrictions set up (eg, lock non-paying users to a specific page).
- If rejected, the user sees the Access rejected page.
User Flow with Qualification Form
1. User signs up.
2. They see the Qualification form (if enabled).
- If the form is mandatory, they stay on the qualification form until they complete it.
- If the form is optional, they can either answer or skip it.
3. They can see the Approval Pending page.
- If approved, the user can then navigate the school according to any other restrictions set up (e.g., lock non-paying users to a specific page).
- If rejected, the user can see the Access rejected page.
For more information about the Qualification Form, navigate to our relevant article here.
Admins via the All Requests page:
1. Review new signups (custom signup fields and qualification form answers if asked).
2. Approve/reject new signups.
- The Restricted Access feature is not supported on Mobile Apps.
- You can edit the Pending or Rejected page. From your admin's dashboard, you can go to All users → Signup Approval → Setup→ click on the Approval pending page or Request rejected page. Also, from your admin's dashboard, you can go to Site Builder → Theme Explorer → Manage all pages → select the system pages category and click on the Access Request Rejected or Access Request Rejected pages.
- Payments for users before they have been manually approved by the admin are not allowed to protect users from purchasing a product but not having access to it. If you have enabled the Restricted access, you are advised to:
a. Lock the payment page (under /author/pageseditor?page=home&site-settings=navigation).
b. Not include payment zones on public pages.
c. Not restrict signups and signup via payment zones only.