Meta tags are pieces of text describing a webpage’s content; the meta tags do not show on the page, but only in the HTML code of it. LearnWorlds uses these tags to optimize how your content will look when shared across social media sites.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Will meta tags help with SEO?
- Will meta tags help with Social Media Sharing?
- How to optimize your pages for Search engines and users
Will meta tags help with SEO?
Meta tags can improve the CTR (click-through rate) of a search engine result, which plays a big role in attracting students and improving your overall search engine rankings.
- Title Tag - This is the title you can see at your Browser Tabs. Google (and other search engines) will use that as the title of your page.
- Meta Description - A short description of the contents of the page. It is what commonly appear underneath the blue clickable links in a search engine results page
Note: Meta descriptions can be any length, but search engines generally show only 160 characters. Better keep it shorter than 160 characters.
- Meta Keywords - Used to identify important words or categories. While they are not widely used by Google anymore, they could help with other search engines & social network indexing.
Keep in mind that meta tags also help search engines identify the content of your page, however, make sure that your meta tags accurately reflect the content of your pages: today’s search engines are too smart to be tricked by staffing your page with irrelevant keywords. Just be precise and you will not lose:)
Note: Sometimes, a search engine will choose its own description of the page based on what is more relevant to the search query (the text that someone was looking for).
Will meta tags help with Social Media Sharing?
Another reason to choose carefully your meta tags is that virtually all social sharing sites like Facebook, use a page's meta description tag as the description that appears when the page is shared. Without a meta description, they may just use the first text they can find. Depending on the first text on your page, this might not create a good user experience.
However, social media sites use even more metadata tags (called Open Graph meta tags, a standard created by none other than Facebook). LearnWorlds automatically creates all the meta tags needed for all major social media sites to make sure that you get the best possible performance of your links on social media.
Note: Metadata can be edited for all external pages of your LearnWorlds school (i.e. pages that users can reach when they are logged out).
How to optimize your pages for Search engines and users
1 Go to Site Builder → Edit School Site.
2 Select the page you wish from the dropdown menu, or your Page Manager, and click on Page → Page SEO.
3 You can edit:
- The SEO title of the page.
- The image that will be shown when the page is shared.
Note: Use images that are at least 1280 x 720 pixels for the best display on high-resolution devices and also, your images can be up to 8MB in size.
- The description of the page.
- Keywords for SEO.
- You can view the SEO Live Preview.
- You can also choose to exclude the page from the SEO sitemap.