A common action experienced by school owners is when a user clicks on a URL, instead of redirecting to the desired URL, another page appears or, for example, an error message.
For instance, users may be trying to reach the community (/social), but they are redirected to another page instead because the Community app is disabled in the default settings. These are the settings that may be causing redirections:
In your Site Navigation settings, you have various options to redirect your users. More specifically, you can edit the following settings:
- Home page (for logged-in users it's inaccessible, so it redirects to the /start page).
- After login (for logged-out users it's inaccessible, so it redirects to the login pop-up form).
- Lock non-paying users.
- Lock the 1-click-sales funnel in the Payment Flow.
- Log out URL redirection.
School is Subscription-Only
You may have chosen for your school to sell products only through subscriptions. If you have inserted any custom button with redirection to the course Payment Page, users will then be redirected to the Course Layout page, because the courses cannot be sold individually but only through subscription plans.
Sign in/up settings
In your Sign in/up settings, you have the option to decide if you want users to enroll themselves in your school or include some restrictions. For example, you can enable the following options:
- Sign up via 1 click sales funnel only (by buying a product through a payment page).
- No sign-ups.
In both cases, users will not be able to use the login/sign-up form. They will be viewing the following message:
That's why we recommend removing any top-bar links that prompt users to use the sign-up form simply.
School Community Settings - Users cannot visit the Community
In your School community, you can lock non-paying users or even all the users. More specifically:
- The school community can be accessible only to enrolled users (redirecting non-paying users to a specific page)
- Not activated (users will be redirected to the /start page if the Community is publicly shared as a URL link at the topbar or a button).
Apps are turned off, and they redirect to the After Login page with a URL: /start?start=1
If an app is disabled, then the users will be redirected to the After Login page.
Currently, the four following apps can be disabled:
- /dailynews (Daily news app)
- /workpad (Best resources app)
- /people (People directory app)
- /profile (Profile app)
Courses, Bundles, and Subscriptions can also have an after-purchase navigation redirection
Courses, Subscriptions, and Bundles have an after-purchase navigation setting that redirects users to the selected page after purchasing the specific product.
Course cards can lead to checkout/course overview/course player
Course cards have redirections when clicked, such as Go to course overview page or Course player or Checkout.
a. When clicking on the course cards with the Go to course player setting, a logged-out user will be redirected to the Sign-in form.
b. If you have the setting Go to checkout page, logged-out users will only be redirected to the checkout page if you enabled the setting in your Payment Flow for direct 1-click sales. Otherwise, they will be prompted to sign in.
c. If a user tries to access a Payment page but already owns the product, they will be redirected to the course layout page.
The timer widget has a redirection option
When inserting a timer Widget, there is an option to redirect users to a specific page when the timer finishes.
Email grabber has redirection after the submit option
If you add an email grabber for email leads, you can have the option to redirect users on submit.
Message "404 error" appears while the page exists
If some pages exist on your Pages Manager tool but they are not accessible to users, then they will be redirected to the 404 error page. Instances that redirect to the error page are the following:
- The page is draft.
- The page has a past expiration date.
- Page is the affiliate self-registration, and the relevant affiliate setting is OFF.
- Page is from an inactive site template, and the corresponding page does not exist in the active site template.
- Page is a bundle, course, or subscription page and the relevant product is draft/private/archived.
For more information on how to customize the 404 error page, check this article.